Saturday, December 10, 2016

Lucy van Pelt Costume/Dress...

"Lucy van Pelt" Costume-- Charlie Brown


Difficulty Level:  Easy

Size:  this costume was made to fit a slim teenager/young adult 

Materials:
--2 T-shirts (same color) from Hobby Lobby); 1 small and 1 XL
--4 buttons
--matching thread
--sewing machine

Directions:
Cutting:  
Small T-shirt
1.  I measured from bottom up of the small T-shirt approximately 4-5" and lightly marked it.  
2.  I just held the shirt firmly down with one hand while I cut across the mark to shorten the shirt.  Set aside.

XL T-shirt
1.  I laid the T-shirt flat on my table.  
2.  I then cut across from underarm to underarm.  Do not discard the top portion. You will use it later on.  

Assemble Dress
1.  Turn the XL T-shirt wrong side out.
2.  Make sure the bottom portion of the small T-shirt is aligned with the top portion of the XL T-shirt.  
3.  With your sewing machine, and like-colored thread you will hem the waistline and add a few pleats.  

For the arms:
1.  I removed the arm sections from the small T-shirt and used the XL T-shirt arms.  This made the arms puffy.  
2.  I made a band (about an inch wide) and hemmed to each arm end.  

For the ruffled neckline:
1.  I used part of the upper T-shirt of the XL that was leftover.  I cut a long strip that was about 1 and 1/2 times the length of the neck.  I made sure the width was wide enough so I could fold it in half.
2.  I then positioned it on one side of the neck, adjusted my numbers on my machine to create a ruffle.  It was actually quite easy to do.  I did an internet search with my sewing machine brand and what I needed to adjust it to to make ruffles.  

Buttons:
1.  Last I attached 4 buttons in the center, under the ruffles.  

And, that's it.  It was fairly quick to make and made a super cute costume for a Christmas play....

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment and I will answer the best I can.  

Happy Sewing....

No comments:

Post a Comment