Monday, July 29, 2024

Red & Black Handstitched Quilt


Red & Black Quilt
Update:
8/3/24

I completed this handmade quilt this evening. I’m very pleased with the finished look. 




*******************************

Until recently, I had forgotten how much I truly enjoy quilting. For the past decade, I’ve been busy with crocheting and crafting and sorta let my first love slip to the wayside. 

But, thankfully it’s not something you forget how to do. I find so much peace and relaxation when I get immersed into a project. I let the world’s problems go; I forget about the angry, cruel and mean words from others that has taken residence in my head; for a time, I’m just me and I’m okay being me. 

Life, sometimes, throws us the biggest curveball. Our world gets thrown upside down and when you look around the friends you thought you had are nowhere to be found. 

Starting life over in your mid-50’s, unable to work, trying to fit it and to just be able to financially survive is truly hard. Some care; most don’t.  Trying to redefine yourself into a useful person need in society isn’t easy. Darkness, anger and depression can take a strong hold and lead you in the wrong direction. Family and friends abandon you. I guess, mostly, in fear of you asking them for help. 

So, finding myself lost in crafting is my safe haven. No judgment; no lies and no pretense. 

For this quilt, I had ordered multiple packs of 10” pre-cut squares from Temu in reds and blacks. Temu doesn't pay me but I absolutely love shopping on Temu’s app. I’ve been doing so for the past year to year and a half. No problems whatsoever. 

As you can see, I have the top made.  All sewn by hand. Now, I just need to get my backing.  Then, I will attach front to back and add a gorgeous bias. 


Happy Quilting…
Rilla


No comments:

Post a Comment