Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Minion Hoodie Blanket for Toddler - 5 Year Old...

April 12, 2017:
Well, Gabriel was surely the most excited child (or person) to receive a crocheted gift.  The shear joy and thrills in his voice has made my day.  He just couldn't contain himself.  Check out my pics....FREE pattern below.



Minion Blanket

This crochet project was completed using Red Heart Supersaver yarn.  It worked up fairly quickly and my grandson loves it.  The size can easily be adjusted by making the blanket bigger or smaller - just adjust starting chain number.  This blanket measures 38" wide and 42" long (from top of hood to bottom).  

Size:  Toddler - 5-year-old

Materials: 
-6mm hook
-4mm hook (to make the black buttons on the straps)
-2 skeins of Red Heart in Bright Yellow (it did not take all of 2nd skein)
-2 skeins of Blue (it did not take all of the 2nd skein)
-small amount of black, gray, brown and white
-1 button (optional) to fasten like a cape

Abbreviations:
Ch: chain
Sl st:  slip stitch
St: stitch
DC: double crochet
HDC: half double crochet 
SC: single crochet
Sk st: skip stitch
MR: magic ring

Special Stitch:  V-Stitch - DC, Ch1, DC in same space

Gauge:  3 rows of 2 cluster sets of V-Stitches per row will equal 2" x 2"

Directions:
1.  Starting with blue yarn and larger hook, ch 90.  HDC in 2nd ch from hook and across.  Ch1 and turn.  (89)
2.  DC in 1st st, *sk st, V-stitch* repeat across.  In last st, DC.  Ch1 and turn.  (2 DC & 43 sets of V-st)
3.  DC in the first st.  Sk the next st (which is the first DC of the previous row's V-stitch). Make a V-stitch in the Ch1 space.  Continue to make V-stitches in the Ch1 spaces across.  DC in the last st.  Ch1 and turn.  (2 DC; 43 sets of V-st).  
4-29.  Repeat # 3.   

In the following rows, you will be switching between yellow and blue yarn.  I did not want to carry over on my yarn, so I made up 2 balls of yellow yarn.  

30-41.  Starting with yellow yarn, DC in the first st, then you will complete 14 sets of V-stitches. Before completing the last st, switch to blue yarn.  Complete 15 sets of V-stitches.  Before completing the last st, switch to yellow yarn.  Complete 14 sets of V-stitches and then DC in the last st.  (2 DC & 43 sets of V-st)
42-53.  In yellow yarn, repeat #2.  

Bib Straps (make 2):
1.  With blue yarn, ch4.  Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across.  Ch1 and turn.  (3)
2-23.  Sc in each st across.  Ch1 and turn.  (3) 

Button for Bibs (make 2):
1.  With 4mm hook and black yarn make a MR and Ch1. 5 HDC into MR.  Sl st to first st to join and FO.  Leave a tail long enough for attaching button.  

Pocket:
1.  With blue yarn, ch19.  Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across.  Ch1 and turn.  (18)
2-16.  Sc in each st across.  Ch1 and turn.  Leave a tail long enough to attach.  (18)

With black yarn, I embroidered stitches around the perimeter of the pocket before attaching it to the center of the bib overalls.  (See pic) 

Important Note:  So, this made the bib overalls on the backside of the blanket if my grandson chooses to wear it as a cape.  The next part in brackets [] is completely optional.  [To remedy this, I decided to make a second set of the bib/pocket and straps to place where the sides join when fashioning a cape.  (See pics for help on where to place the second set).  The straps/buttons were made the same way as above.  

1.  For the bib portion, I ch 16.  DC into 2nd ch from hook, *sk st, V-st* across.  Ch1 and turn.  (1DC & 7 sets of V-st)
2-11.  Make the V-st into the previous row V-st and 1 DC into the previous row's DC.  (1DC & 7 sets of V-st)

(Make 2) 
1.  For the pocket portion, I ch10. Sc into 2nd ch and across.  Ch1 and turn.  (9)
2-16.  1Sc in each st across.  Using black yarn, only embroider 3 sides with stitches.  This way when you line up the sides of the blanket, it will resemble one pocket.  (See below pic)]

Optional:  attach button at top of side to use as cape.

That completes the blanket portion....

Hoodie:
For the hood portion, I decided I didn't want to make a rectangle and sew the last row together.  To me, that just didn't give the Minion head shape.  So, I did this hood a little different than my "animal series" blankets I recently made.  I crocheted the hood portion as you would if you were going to make a scoodie (scarf/hood) or the sole of a shoe.  This hood was completely experimental on my part.  If you are making this for a small child you may start with a smaller number of chains or if you are making for an older kid, then you would start with a larger number of chains and follow the same premise below of the increase stitches starting in the last chain and just marking them off and increasing them in each round.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 9/9/2017:
For purposes of picture tutorial, I used orange yarn to make this again, and to, better explain how I made the hoodie and how I attached it to the blanket.

1.  With yarn, I started with a ch31.  HDC into 2nd ch from hook and across until the last chain.  Into the last ch, I added 8 HDC.  Place a stitch marker into the first and the last st of the 8 HDC you just completed (beginning and ending stitches of increase rounds).  Now, rotate and work on the opposite side of the base chain.  HDC in each st.  Sl st to first st and ch1.  (Note:  1 end will have increase stitches; the other end will not; sorta like making the soles of a shoe)

Stitch Markers placed for where the increases will take place:

Round 1 Completed (66 stitches):
2. 1 HDC  in each st across, until you reach the stitch marker.  2 HDC into the next stitch that has the stitch marker (move it to the 1st HDC just made) and 2 HDC into each of the next 7 stitches (move stitch marker to last HDC just made).  1 HDC in remaining st.  Sl st to first st and ch1.

Round 2 Completed (74 stitches):
3.  1 HDC in each st across, until you reach the stitch marker.  *2 HDC into the next stitch (move marker into the first HDC just made), 1 HDC into next st,* repeat 7 more times (move stitch marker into last HDC just made).  1 HDC in remaining st.  Sl st to first st and ch1.

Round 3 Completed (82 stitches):
 4.  1 HDC in each st across, until you reach the stitch marker.  *2 HDC into the next stitch (move marker into the first HDC just made, 1 HDC into next 2 st,* repeat 7 more times (move stitch marker into last HDC just made).  1 HDC in remaining st.  Sl st to first st and ch1.

Round 4 Completed (90 stitches):
5.  1 HDC in each st across, until you reach the stitch marker.  *2 HDC into the next stitch (move marker into the first HDC just made), 1 HDC into next 3 st,* repeat 7 more times (move stitch marker into last HDC just made).  1 HDC in remaining st.  Sl st to first st and ch1. 

Round 5 Completed (98 stitches):
 NOTE:  At this point, you will need to determine if you have made enough increase stitches for the hood.  I just placed the hood on my grandson's head.  

6-10.  1 HDC st in each st around.  Sl st join to first st and Ch1.  (98)

Round 10 Completed:

11.  1 HDC st in each st around.  Sl st to join to first st.  Do not Ch1.  Turn. Flatten the non-increase end (this will be the bottom of the hood) and place a stitch marker on the left and right sides.  (98)

NOTE:  the increase end is going to be the hood;  from stitch marker to stitch marker is going up the right side, across the increase section and down the left side.  It is NOT going across the bottom (see below pic) 

Stitch Marker placement on left and right sides:
 12-19.  Now, for the remaining Rounds you will work HDC st from stitch marker to stitch marker.  After you work a HDC st into the stitch marker, move stitch marker up into the new stitch.  

20-21.  For these 2 rounds, you will make a FPDC and then BPDC.  Repeat from stitch marker to stitch marker.  Ch1 and turn.  

I think post stitches are just pretty and really added an extra touch to the outline of the hood.  Here's a link where you can find a great tutorial on post stitches:

Now, your hoodie is complete and ready to attach to the center top of your blanket.  

For my purposes of a picture tutorial, I only completed 14 rounds as you will see in the next pics.  But, once all of your rounds are completed then you are ready to attach the hoodie to the blanket.  
 

 As you can see in the pics, I attached the hoodie to the inside of the blanket and whipstitched across and around the lower hoodie portion.  Please NOTE:  there's probably a better way of achieving the hoodie to look like this, but this was an experimental way of doing this that I tried. 

Once I completed the hood, I then added the facial features and the hair before attaching the hood to the blanket portion, but this can be done after you have attached the hoodie to the blanket.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair:
1.  I just weaved black yarn in and out at the top and tied in a double knot.

Eyes (make 2):
1.  With black yarn, 6 HDC into MR. Sl st to join.  Ch1.  Fasten off black yarn.
2.  Join brown yarn, 2 HDC into each st around.  Sl st to join.  Ch1.  Fasten off brown yarn.
3.  Join white yarn, 1 HDC into each st around.  Sl st to join.  Ch1.  Fasten off white yarn.
4.  Join gray yarn, 2 HDC into each st around.  Sl st to join.  Ch1.  Fasten off, leaving a long tail for attaching.

I embroidered a piece of white yarn from the center of the MR into one HDC of the first round.

Black Band:
For this part, I'm sorry but I didn't write down how many chains I made.  But, I made enough chain stitches to comfortably fit around the middle section of the hood.  Once I was satisfied that I had enough chains, I then HDC into the 2nd chain from the hood and across.  Fasten off and left a long tail for attaching the band.  

Mouth:
With black yarn, ch15.  SC into 2nd ch from hook and across.  Fasten off, leaving a long enough tail to attach.

Assembly of Hood to Blanket:
I centered the hood at the top of the blanket.  I then whipstitched the hood to the blanket portion.  

There's probably a lot of easier and different ways of achieving this style-type of blanket but this is what I did to make one for my grandson.  I'm posting the pattern FREE.  If there's any part that I wasn't too clear on or is confusing, please drop me a comment or an email and I will try to better clarify for you.

Legal:
--don't claim pattern as your own
--don't use my pics
--you may make, sell or give away any of your finished products
--please link to my blog as opposed to posting my pattern


---------------------------------------------------
My grandson, Gabriel, who's getting ready to turn 21 months old in a few days, loves the Minions.  He wants to watch it every single day...lol.  When he walks into my sunroom and says, Bob, I know that he’s asking to watch Minions.  Bob is the name of one of the Minions.  So, I figured I needed to make my little sweetie a Minion blanket for him to snuggle with when he's watching TV and/or napping...

                                   
                              









17 comments:

  1. Hi, I am working on this afghan and I am stuck on the hood--after the first increases I am not sure how to continue--do you work this in rounds? I tried that and its like I have hoods on both ends? it doesnt seen right? Not sure what Im doing wrong?
    HELP :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann. The hoodie portion was a little different than how hoodies are normally done. I started with the base chain and worked into the chains, rotated and worked on the opposite side of the base chains, like you would for booties or a tote bag. I kept increasing my rows until it was the right width and then just continued working rounds until I had the right length. If you want, later today, I can make the hoodie again and add pics of each row with instructions or maybe put a video tutorial of working it to help you. Because it's so different than how I normally make hoodies, I may have not been clear enough in my instructions.

      Delete
  2. Ann, I think I understand what your meaning now. I'm working the hood again myself, here. On the non-increase end you will have it circular-shaped. Now, you can add rows across this end to make it straight. But, I didn't. I flattened it out and whipstitched it to the top of the blanket. If you look closely at one of the above pics that shows the back of the hood you will notice this. But, it doesn't stand out as very noticeable. I was trying to achieve the Minion-shaped head and did it this way. So, just continue til you get the number of rows you want, then flatten and pin to the center top of your blanket and this should give you a nice hoodie shape. Now, I added features to hoodie before attaching to the blanket - but this can be done after adding also. I hope I have helped you. Please let me know. And, thank you for messaging me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im still not sure---so the hood part is the top where the increases are, then what or how did you do the bottom, the part you attach to the afghan,to keep it straight. If you have pictures of it that would probably be helpful.
      Thanks for replying

      Delete
    2. I will post some pics in the morning to guide you through attaching the end to the top of the blanket.

      Delete
    3. Ann, I hope the update I just added will help you. I have made a couple corrections to the directions as well. Please let me know if I can further help.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for your time, I will try :))

      Delete
  3. Hi, I am having trouble in the very beginning of the pattern. I got through step 1 and 2 and when I start to repeat row 2 it seems to be adding stitches. Should I be putting the V stitch in the center of the previous rows V stitch? I am just wondering why I keep adding stitches just by following the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not have explained it clear enough - my apologies. But, from Row 3 on you will put a DC in the first stitch, skip a stitch, then place the V-stitch into the Ch1 space of the previous row's V-stitch. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...continue across with V-stitches, then DC in the last stitch. Ch1 and turn....

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I tried it this easy before I heard back from you and it worked out perfectly!

      Delete
  5. I got about 6 rows done and realized it was getting wider....realized by putting the ch 1 between the DC in the V stitch, you are adding stitches. If you do the ch 1, you need to skip 2 stiches in between. Does this sound right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DC in the first and last st of each row. The V-stitches are placed in the Ch1 spaces. So, on every row you will have 2 DC stitches and 43 sets of V-stitches. I edited the directions to hopefully better explain this. My apologies for any confusion.

      Delete
  6. I'm having a hard time with the hood. The non increase side ended up being pointed instead of rounded. It's going to look weird when I attach it to the blanket part. Wish i knew how to attach a pic so you could see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, email me a picture so I can look and maybe be able to help you. (rilla2u.gmail.com)

      Delete
    2. Trish, I was thinking more on this and what could be going on and I'm just wondering if my directions from stitch marker to stitch marker may have not been clear enough (I have added a note above better clarifying) but: the increase end is going to be the hood; from stitch marker to stitch marker is going up the right side, across the increase section and down the left side. It is NOT going across the bottom section. I hope this helps you. Please let me know.

      Delete