Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Kids Face Masks...

I wanted to make my grand kids face masks and thought something cute would be fun for them to wear. I’ve just been using scrap yarn I have on hand and a 6.0mm hook.

Special Note:  Size will fit most kids; however, all kids aren’t the same. You may have to adjust the number of starting chains and/or the number of rows you make. You may also have to increase or decrease the number of chains for the straps.

Basic pattern:
1.  Start with a Chain 19.  HDC stitch in 2nd stitch from hook and across.  Chain 1 and turn. (18)
2-8.  HDC in each stitch across.  Chain 1 and turn.  At the end of Row 8, fasten off and weave ends. (18)
Border:
1.  With a contrasting color, SC in each stitch around.  I placed 2 SC stitches in each corner.  Slip stitch join to the first stitch.
Straps:
1.  Chain 20 and slip stitch join to the bottom side stitch.  Fasten off and weave ends.  Complete on opposite side for the second strap.


Here is the Face Mask Link...that includes making a pocket for a filter!!!

OR,

You could use cotton fabric on the backside. You can sew or glue it to the back.  I left one end open and inserted a folded coffee filter for added protection...

And, that's it...

As you can see below, I added a few embellishments to create different designs.  Enjoy!!!

Here’s a few pictures of what I’ve completed so far.

Kids Face Masks

Bumblebee Mask:
For the Bumblebee Mask, I used felt in black and red to make the face.  For the antennas, I joined black yarn in the first stitch on top, chain 6 and slip stitch join in the same stitch as I joined the yarn.  I made a second one on the opposite end.

Fox & Wolf Mask:


For the Fox Mask, I started with white yarn and made 3 rows.  I then completed 5 rows in burnt pumpkin yarn.  

For the facial features:
Eyes:  I made a magic ring and put 4 SC stitches.  Slip stitch joined to first stitch and fastened off.  I left a long enough tail for attaching to the mask.

Nose Stripe:
1.  Chain 7.  SC in 2nd chain from hook and across. Chain 1 and turn.  (6)
2.  SC across.   Chain 1 and turn.  (6)  
3.  SC decrease, SC 2x, SC decrease.  Chain 1 and turn.  (4)
4.  SC across.  Chain 1 and turn.  (4)
5.  SC decrease, SC decrease.  Chain 1 and turn.  (2)
6.  SC across.  Fasten off and leave a long tail for attaching.  Weave ends.  (2)

Nose Tip:  6 SC stitches into magic ring.  Slip stitch join to the first stitch and fasten off.  Leave a long enough tail for attaching.

For the Wolf Mask, you will complete same as Fox - just change up colors. 

Assembly:
1.  Attach Nose Tip to Nose Stripe.  Then attach Nose to center of mask, over the white portion.  See picture.
2.  Attach eyes on each side of the nose.  See picture. 

Boy Mask:

Girl Mask:

Unicorn Mask:

Backside:


Happy Crocheting...

Legal:
--don't use/claim my design as your own
--don't use/claim my pics as your own
--okay to make and sale your finished work
--don't share my pattern electronically or in print format (without prior consent) but provide a link to my blog

Social Media:
If you are on the following sites, let's connect and hook up...
  • Instagram:  Rilla2u
  • Pinterest:  Rilla2u
  • Twitter:  Rilla2u
  • Facebook:  /rilla.edwards



No comments:

Post a Comment